Tuesday 18 March 2014

Work on the Wildlife Pond continues. Friday 14th March 2014

Well after a bit of deciding I went for the pond liner option for the wildlife pond and not the plastic moulded option. It was a cheaper option and meant I could dig the pond out by hand and decide where to put things etc... I went for a pond of about 2m x 2m. You should also try and make sure the deepest part of the pond is more than 90cm so that if the pond freezes in winter there is still unfrozen space underneath for the things that could be living in there... The afternoon went a little bit like this...


I started to dig out the different levels for the pond
so it creates a kind of beach effect for wildlife to get
in and out of the pond



Once I was happy with the size and layers I removed 
any hard or sharp stones and roots etc and smoothed 
the surface out of the pond bottom



I then put some sand down in the base of the pond 
to smooth it out even more.



I also placed some old newspapers down on top
of the sand for extra protection and foundation 



I then started to spread out the pond liner which cost
me about £16 from the garden centre in the aquatics 
department for a 2mx2m sheet. I started to push it into
place and held the edges down with some heavy stones


Its a good idea to just leave the excess pond liner for
now until the pond is filled with water as you will need
the excess to use in creating the edges to the pond.

And that's about as far as I got today... ill be back after the weekend no doubt to continue to finish this off so keep checking back to see the progress...


No comments:

Post a Comment